Fill the weave of underside of deck?

Hi folks.  Just finished glassing the underside of the deck of our Shearwater Sport.  The manual doesn't say anything about subsequent coats of epoxy.  Is that because 2nd-nth coats are just for cosmetics?

Not looking for extra work - I'm willing to be done with the deck and move on to the next step.

Which brings me to the next step.

"Tack-welding" the hull pieces together and the deck pieces together using ketchup-consistency cellulose-thickened epoxy was a mess.  The syringes didn't work smoothly.  Little pressure - nothing.  Little more pressure - nothing.  Little more pressure and out come a big blob of glue that promptly runs down the sides.

Thinking about wiring the hull and deck together with no glue and go right to the fillet stage with nice, thick,non-runny wood flour-thicked epoxy.

Thoughts?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fill the weave of underside of deck?

A note of clarification - what I really have in mind is not going to the full fillet stage right away, but doing a sort of "mini-fillet" tack-weld using the pastry bag rather than the syringe tack-weld.  Then taking out the wires and doing the full fillet and tape.

I don't fill the weave anywhere on the insides of my boats unless there's going to be skin contact. Nothing's fallen apart yet.

When I tack my seams, I use epoxy/woodflour smears applied with a plastic putty knife. Syringes and bags dispense and waste too much. The putty knife gives me much more control.

Have fun,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.