Wood Duck 14 - Deck question - doesn't matter which side is inside or outside?

99.99% sure.  Reason I ask is my deck sheet has a concave shape, and the side I want outside is concave inside.   It has "warped" a bit, since it's in my house, quite dry, so I am certasin the moisture top on the upside has lept out of the wood creating the warp. Gluing the puzzle joints tonight. It'd be easier to go with the flow so to speak, but the better wood grain is on the downside  of the warp, so I'll need to shape and stitch to hull eventually coming back from warp down to flat.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood Duck 14 - Deck question - doesn't matter which side is inside or outside?

As long as the warp is not super crazy you will be able to bring everything back in line, with the grain you want on the outside.  I would recommend perhaps weights to help flatten it or use the stretch wrap (commercial grade saran type wrap) and patience.  Wrap it a little towards the shape you want then go back periodically and wrap it a little tighter.  I chose my "outside" specfically for the wood grain, like you.  Everything that I initially worried abou warping was taken care of during the stitching process.

RE: Wood Duck 14 - Deck question - doesn't matter which side is inside or outside?

Thanks - along my thought process it will be maneagable with stitching, and i will be "ironong it out before I do that.  Just needing some assurance, and comin from someone who dealt with it sure helps.  My process is slow for a variety issues .....Might get to stitching some of the hull next weekend.  Just trying to do three deck and sheer panel  puzzle joiunts next few days.

Thanks - along my thought process it will be maneagable with stitching, and i will be "ironong it out before I do that.  Just needing some assurance, and comin from someone who dealt with it sure helps.  My process is slow for a variety issues .....Might get to stitching some of the hull next weekend.  Just trying to do three deck and sheer panel  puzzle joiunts next few days.

It sounds like your boat is coming along nicely.  I just wanted to comment on when you say "my process is slow".  That's OK and sometimes good.

I started my WD12 in the spring of 2014, got it mostly stichted together by June,  but I was busy all summer and fall.  Also I was nervous about working with the epoxy.  I finally started again in the spring of '15 and it splashed in July.

Slow can be good, I think it helped with getting the shape right as it sat stitched for 9 months before I tacked it together.  Yes I was concerned that it would stay unfinished but once I got rolling again it was really fun to watch it come together.

Enjoy the build,

Thanks Shawsheen - as you might have seen, I messed up a puzzle joint on the deck, so a setback, but one that also reminds me time is not necessarily an enemy. My goal was to be ready to launch by mid May, but the life even schedule is filling, as is work.  Still would like a mid May launch, but no real problem if May becomes August,  or Labor Day.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.