Final Exoxy Coat

Finishing up a Wood Duck 12 and have completed the final sanding.  There are some parts where the fiberglass cloth is slightly visable.  I know this should not be a problem because the weave disapears after using some denatured alcohol.

Is is recommended to put a final skim coat of epoxy on before varnish?  Or just go to the varnish stage? 

Thanks

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Final Exoxy Coat

As with any finishing you want the best bae possible before putting on the fiinish.

Leaving visible or feelable weve meand the varnish will fill the low spots and if you ever need to remove the varnish those low spots will ben an issue.

I would use another coat of expoxy to ove the hull and deck to fill any of those low spots and you might want to note where ther are an see if you need to put extra epoxy there.

I recently had the same problem when applying a second epoxy coat in the build of a Passagemaker pram.   I had applied Frog Tape to map off areas where fillets were applied and this was followed by a second epoxy coat to the boats interior.   I did not have this problem when I used the 3-M Blue painters tape.  Needless to say, I will not use Frog Tape again and suspect this is due to an adhesive residue.

Pat Yeatts

Sorry for the incorrect reply to the post above.

PY

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.