hybrid northbay

I'm about to rip the deck off my NorthBay to make some internal mods, update my finish and also try my hand at making a stripped deck.  My biggest concern is how to make the appropriate forms to keep the curves approximately the same as the current deck.

Any suggestions from those who've built a hybrid before?

FrankP 

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: hybrid northbay

Frank,

Make a template matched to the outside of the deck and transfer the curves to the forms. Once the forms match the templates, shave off the thickness of your current deck from the outside curve on the form.

I can put together a sketch if that's not clear from my written description.

Laszlo

I'm pretty sure there was a "Tips for Boatbuilders" article here somewhere demonstrating doing this for Chesapeake. Can't find it right now and many of the TfBB articles seem to be missing/broken right at the moment. Perhaps when they come back to life, it will reappear.

--

Ogata (eric)

Lazslo, that's basically what I was planning.  I'm not sure what the "forms" should be though... just some plywood panels with the right curves put at certain points along the boat length right?

FrankP

Frank,

Yep. Plywood is fine, but I've also seen composition board used. Since they're just temporary forms, all you need is dimensional stability and the ability to put in staples. Weight & waterproof doesn't matter.

Laszlo

Guys, here is our Shop Tip on the subject:

http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/strip_planking/hybrid_decks.html

Thanks for the link, Ed.  That will help.  I've got my deck design now, and I'm making the patterns today for the forms.  Hopefully I'll have the deck off in the next week or so and start stripping shortly thereafter.

FrankP 

Hey, I thought about using my planing guide for the forms, like the link suggests, but I can't find it any more.  Think I'll pull out my plans and see if they have the guide in there to recreate.  That would certainly be easier than doing it manually.

FrankP 

So I went through my plans and my build manual but I couldn't find the deck radius information (I got rid of my template a long time ago apparently) for the northbay.

I think the front is 19" and the rear is 60" but can't remember for sure.   Anyone know the right deck radius for the northbay?

FrankP 

Okay, so I reread the plans a little more carefully and it says the front deck is 16" radius.  Still looking for the rear deck radius, though.

FrankP 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.