Is my epoxy still good?

I've been working on a great auk for a couple years as time has allowed.  I bought the MAS epoxy system with the kit and it has sat in place for two years.  Is the epoxy still ok to use?  Thanks for any advice.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Is my epoxy still good?

ed,

i would suggest the following.  do a test with the epoxy.  mix up a couple pumps worth and wet-out a scrap piece of wood.  if, after an appropriate time, it cures hard (not sticky/tacky)...then you should be fine.

i have had epoxy older than that that was just fine.

that said, it does not have indefinite shelf life.  a lot depends on how it was stored.

but in general, as i understand it, if it cures right....its fine.

i would also encourage calling the mas technical support phone number.  i have done that in the past when i had problems and the gentlemen took me through some good questions to sort out what might be the problem.  they asked about how test pieces cured and also had some observations they had me make on the resin (e.g., is it clear?) that usually indicates it is still good (vs if it is cloudy....which means that it probably is going to be a problem).   they also asked a lot of questions about mixing and the tools/cups and possible contamination sources. i learned a lot from them.

best of luck.

howard

For what it is worth: I bought a Chester Yawl kit with MAS epoxy at the end of 2007, I moved a couple of times since and started work on the boat in mid  2013 ... I did close to nothing from December through April 2014. Now finishing it, after working  a few hours here and there. 

the epoxy works perfectly fine, cures as advertised, strong bonding and clear. Both containers were left open with the pumps in, over the winter. I purged them with one pump worth of wasted epoxy and it works just as it did when I first opened the container.

Cheers,

Eric

I appreciate the comments guys.  I will give it a test here next time I'm out.

Thanks again

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.