question on the sequence for vented leash plug and fin box install

Hello,

Im at the stage on my SUP build where I think I need to start thinking about my fin box and vented leash plugs from greenlightsurf.  Do the fin box and leash plugs get epoxied in after the epoxy and before varnish and paint, or after varnish and paint? I think I just answered my own question but i'm guessing that since they will need to be sanded down flush with the hull and deck this will be done after epoxy and before paint. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks 

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: question on the sequence for vented leash plug and fin box install

I installed the fin box before any epoxy work, but you can also do it after the epoxy is done.  I'm waiting until after the epoxy work for the vented leash plug.  It would be best to install both before varnish and paint though for the best finish work and to avoid marring your finish when sanding down; just make sure to cover with tape so they don't get plugged with paint/varnish.

RE: question on the sequence for vented leash plug and fin box install

I installed my leash plug after the final varnish.  I bought a forstner bit and had no issues marring the surface.  I epoxied it in and have had zero issues since.  I think either way is acceptable but I found it easer to do all the rigging post varnish.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.