chesapeake 17 kayak

I built this kayak about 8 or 9 years ago at the wooden boat school in Maine. Finished it at home with paint and more epoxy. It is time to repaint and put fiberglass in a couple of areas that are worn. It has been outside under my deck with a tarp on it so it has not really taken too much of a beating but it is time for a clean up and want to paint it. I couple a couple of areas not many that are almost down to the bare wood like the rim on the cockpit and on the bottom in a couple of areas. What is the process I should do? I am sure that I will have to sand like hell before painting again and do I epoxy over the couple of spots where it is almost down to the bare wood????

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: chesapeake 17 kayak

steve,

look under the CLC section 'tips for builders' - 'refinishing a boat'  http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/finishing-tips/refinishing.html

i have a number of boats that i have had for 10 + years and have refinished them to like-new condition.  the guide referenced above is pretty straight-forward.  not a lot of sanding needed if it hasn't taken too much of a beating and if you are not trying to change the color.

from my perspective, the most important element of refinishing is taking your time to get a clean fair surface for the new paint/varnish to attach to and following the finishing techniques described with particular care on avoiding contamination of the surface, keeping the coats of new paint/varnish thin, appropriate dry time between coats and light sanding between coats to keep any imperfections from building..

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.