please help with my finish problem

I built a wood duck hybrid last year and it looked great. i followed the instructions and used the varnish recommended from west marine. The boat looked really good, however the finish started to yellow in spots. You could also rub your hand on the finish and it felt gritty and oily. You would end up with residue on your hand. The yellowing was almost like run marks that were cloudly. I asked the shop and they suggested that it was a bad batch of varnish. I made sure it had UV protection. 

They suggested that I sanded again and reapplied. I started sanding today and the  yellow runs were still visible. i kept sanding and sanding and now im wondering if I should take it down to the wood and start again with fiberglass. The bottom is not like this at all which make me think I mixed the epoxy wrong or something happened to the varnish before I could complete the top deck. does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks in advance !

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: please help with my finish problem

it's a little hard to tell from your description what is going on.  but i would start by sanding down to the epoxy/glass....and not back to the wood.  220 grit sandpaper should work (see refinishing tips on the CLC site here)

make sure to clean the area with mineral spirits on a clean rag, let dry .  then re-apply varnish.

if when you get to the epoxy layer, it looks like the problem is in the epoxy.....then you can sand further until you have a clean surface.  but if the epoxy is hard/set.  than it is likely some kind of surface contamination that got between the varnish and the epoxy layer.  a thorough cleaning almost always makes the problem go away in addition to making sure you are applying thin coats of varnish (or paint) and making sure you have proper drying time between coats.

i have made and refinished a number of boats over the years....and have experienced some bad situations.  inevitably, i have found it is very easy to get contaminants on the surface that can make varnish or paint do strange things.   read the clc guide on varnishing and refinishing....and follow the prep directions with care....i bet it will solve your problem. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.