Krylon Enamel versus Yacht Paint - Interlux

Ok Im repainting my kayak and sail rig again. You might be surprised to know its exterior latex BEHR paint. I let it cure for a couple weeks then put it in the water. No it didnt peel and slough off when it got wet.  Infact it never pealed or chipped ever.  Abrasion is something else again. a decent rocky landing will score lines through the paint into the epoxy showing

wood.  I should mention the two bottom panels are black completely asthey are epoxy/graphite coated. scratching only shows more black underneath, never wood.

That said Im thinking of trying Interlux Topsides and Brightsides on the bilge,side panels and part of the deck. I might go with Krylon if its tougher than exterior latex. But if Interlux is that much stronger I might go there.

PS:  Lastly what about EPOXY appliance spray paint . Instead of urethane added like Interlux its epoxy afterall.  Wouldbnt this bethe most durable of all?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Krylon Enamel versus Yacht Paint - Interlux

Thanks in advance!

Pete

Behr paint is durable and a lot less expensive than Topside, which is thinner and shinier but probably just as prone to scratches. I would also be interested in hearing from anybody who has used epoxy paints. -Wes

I have used  Ace hardwares epoxy porch paint on a couple wood rowboats I built and also on the deck of a old sunfish, it lasts for years then a light sanding and recoat. I think I read somewhere that it was either Phil Bolger or Dynamite Payson or both that said more R & D goes into house paint then any other paint in the world. It's expected to last for 10years or more in the most extreme weather conditions. Now on the rowboats, if they're left in the water for weeks at a time I have had it blister below the water line. I did get a Interlux rep to tell me the only difference in one of their alkyed enamel topside paints and a alkyed enamel house paint is the marine paint has more uv inhibitors because of reflection off the water.

I have had very good luck with Rustoleum Topside marine paint.  I painted the hull of a very beat up 35 year old Sunfish with Rustoleum high build Marine primer and Topside paint it and it looked like a new boat.  The paint was about 12.00 a quart for the primer and paint at Lowes so around $24.00 to do the whole boat.  

I like to stick to marine paint/ varnish on boats.  I remember one year my grandad decided Interlux had gotten too expensive so he painted his wooden skiff with house paint and the result was a mess.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.