Trailer Storage?

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking about building my first boat, and the NE Dory is a top choice. For me to transport it though, I would most likely require a trailer. The only problem is, I have no place to store a trailer. As it is, I will have to install a garage ceiling lift to store the Dory. Anybody have any suggestions for a folding trailer, or ways of getting a trailer out of the way? Thanks!

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Trailer Storage?

At 17' and 100+ pounds you don't need much of a trailer. Northern Tools, Harbor Frieght, Sears, have folding trailers, just google it. They're usually about 8' bed but one can improvise to extend the size. Remember: must have at least 10% of the gross trailer weight (w/boat) on the tongue.

Thanks for the reply. How much longer should the trailer be? The one that CLC Boats recommends is 15' long for the NE Dory. I was thinking about just storing the Trailex tailer on its side, and strapping it to the wall. Is this feasible?

What about just lifting the trailer up to the ceiling with the boat?  Or next to it.  That trailer should only be about 150lbs?

I did briefly think about that...with the trailer and the boat, it would be about 270lbs? Not sure how comfortable I am with such weight suspended from the ceiling.

Not to mention banging your head into the trailer. Consider that the Dory has a strong sheer curve and has to ride well above the wheels. When you add in the space between the ceiling and the blocks, you're probably looking at 3 feet or more of vertical space being occupied by the boat, trailer and tackle.

And speaking of tackle, even if the boat & trailer weigh only 270 lbs,  the blocks and their attachments will be supporting twice that - 540 lbs. So you'd need some seriously sized blocks and line, too.

Laszlo

I have a 14' cat on the smallest trailer E Z Load makes. Cat hangs out the back and I built a PVC pipe perimeter that also extends past the trailer and have 3M reflective tape on it. I think you're allowed about 4' overhang before hanging a red flag on the load. Now I can also load two 15'8" sea kayaks under the cat, and carry two 14' SUPs on the top. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.