Kaholo build using 4mm marine ply?

Hi All, I want to build the 14' version of the Kaholo, ordered the plans and manual, but I have what looks like a problem from the get go. I live on the island of Barbados and the sole source of marine ply only stock 4mm! I went through the forum and everyone, except one person captj13, say it is impossible to use 4mm. I can't locally source luan or door skins either, importing it is next to impossible. HELP Christo

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kaholo build using 4mm marine ply?

There have been a few posts about creating your own "strip build" version by making up panels of strips and then using them to build the Kaholo.

Perhaps that would be a good way for you to go.  Would make a beautiful board.

Ed

Go for it with the 4 mm. The only possible difficult bend will be the most forward 18 to 24 inches of the bow area.  Drill your holes for the wires on 2inch centers on the bow section.  Spend more time gradually tightening the wire stitches.  Maybe let the boat set a day or so with gaps where the bottom sections come together in the bow.

The worst problem would be is the you have to make very shallow saw cuts on the inside at the plywood in the bow bottom area.  The cuts should be made on the "rulings", that is the axis that the plywood bends about in the bow area.  The rulings in this area tend to run more fore and aft versus transversely.

Hi, I called Larry at Grey Whale, he said to go for it it should only add a little more weight. Catalina Charlie- The rulings idea sounds golden, I think I will try using the new dremel with the adjustable depth setting. Ed- I plan on doing a strip deck on another make of board I intend on building after the Kaholo, still waiting very impatiently for the plans to arrive! Thanks guys Christo

I know how it feels waiting for plans.  I wanted to build a 12-6  board and waited and waited for the plans for the 12-6.  Finally I purchased the 14 plans and scaled them to 12-6 with a resulting beautiful board, thanks to Larry and those involved in the design.  I weight 155 so the stability is great for me but  a little tippy for heavier persons.  

Be sure to read in detail every single Kaholo builder's blog.  They contain lots of tips.  Be certain to overlap the bow portion of two bottom halves.  

AI can hardly wait to build another Kaholo this winter.  

I built a strip build kaholo and had some trouble getting the bow panels to bend.  The solution I came up with was to belt sand the front 18 inches of the bow panels down to 3 mm.  Once I did this they bent much easier and the front came together much better, with a few additional stitches.  You should be fine with the 4 mm ply if you do this. With the strip build and thicker panels it came in quite a bit heavier as it required more fiberglassing, but the weight only seems to be an issue when carrying it to the water. once it is in the water it performs wonderfully.  

Good luck and enjoy your build.  

Mike

Lake Country, British Columbia

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.