lateral bend in bead and cove strips - wood duck hybrid

Just starting my build on a wood duck hybrid but looking forward to the stripping phase.  When designing my deck, how much of a lateral (within the same plane) turn can I expect from the cedar strips provided through CLC.  Most of the wood ducks that I have seen online have used primarily a straight strip design. 

I want to use a design that will have the strips turn with the front turning around the cockpit and the stern also turning around the cockpit, each meeting the strips moving going in the opposite direction.  Can the strips bend this far and will I need to steam them to make the bend?  See typed representation of design below, Thanks, smp

^

//\      Bow

////\

||(o)||    Cockpit

\////

\//       Stern

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: lateral bend in bead and cove strips - wood duck hybrid

I bent strips on my WD12 that I finished last month but only bent the 2 strips on the outer edge of the deck.  This was about as aggressive as I wnated to get on my first build.  I soaked the strips and used a heat gun to bend the rather gentle radius.  Check out my build at: rodskayakadventure.blogspot.com

I will be interested in the progress of your build and look forward to the techniques you use  in your creativity.

I have ordered another Wood Duck kit, a WD10 hybrid.  I found one kayak is pretty lonely!  I really like paddling my WD12 and plan on the WD 10 for friends and family that are a little smaller.

Good luck and keep the forum posted with your progress and questions!

Rod

RE: lateral bend in bead and cove strips - wood duck hybrid

I bent strips on my WD12 that I finished last month but only bent the 2 strips on the outer edge of the deck.  This was about as aggressive as I wnated to get on my first build.  I soaked the strips and used a heat gun to bend the rather gentle radius.  Check out my build at: rodskayakadventure.blogspot.com

I will be interested in the progress of your build and look forward to the techniques you use  in your creativity.

I have ordered another Wood Duck kit, a WD10 hybrid.  I found one kayak is pretty lonely!  I really like paddling my WD12 and plan on the WD 10 for friends and family that are a little smaller.

Good luck and keep the forum posted with your progress and questions!

Rod

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.