Plywood Label

I've just started to layout parts for my 17LT kit, picking the pretty sides and found that one stern piece has sticker residue on both sides.  One side is from the packing tape and the other's from the plywood sheet label.

I know I'll sand both sides but is there a way (or need) to safely remove the residue before sanding? 

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Plywood Label

I had sticker and tape residue on one or two pieces. After final sanding, it was totally gone.

Gently sand it off. Be careful of using solvents. I have a recurring problem on one of my boats- blistering when exposed to sun/heat in one area. I think the problem area was exposed to acetone or paint thinner which must have saturated the wood before glassing. Not noticeable until much later.

Thanks guys.  I'll make sure to sand carefully, I was suspecting that solvents might do more harm in the long run.  

Using denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner is probably safe, since they're often recommended for cleaning surfaces before applying epoxy. Not sure which, if either, would dissolve your adhesives though.

alcohol or lacquer thinner is good with a white scotch brite pad. neither will attack glue. sounds like you're using okume. african mahog by french mill

used in israeli biz jets. go figure 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.

Special Financing with Blispay

CLC's Fall Kit Sale