Builders' Forum Archives
Float bags and swamping
Posted by Rick on Jan 20, 2005
I'm reading the Sea Kayaker book "Deep Trouble" - I highly recommend it - it is an amazing read and illustrates with great clarity how things can go so wrong so fast.
A couple of stories describe the loss of bow and/or stern hatches by 10-15 ft crashing waves and the subsequent swamping of the boat.
This raises a couple of questions:
1) What does CLC (or anyone else) have to say about the strength of the nylon hatch straps - have you ever heard of a hatch getting blown off by a wave and a boat swamping in such a manner?
2) If there is the chance I might encounter rough seas, should I have float bags installed for that extra safety?
C18 WR162 (Wife's)
- Re: Float bags and swampi by CLC on Jan 20, 2005
- by on
- Re: Float bags and swampi by Randy Knauff on Jan 21, 2005
- Re: Float bags and swampi by terry on Jan 21, 2005
- yeah,,I got issues by LeeG on Jan 21, 2005