Best flotation system for

Posted by skiffrace on Dec 5, 2007

I am trying to decide on the best flotation system to use for my kayak. Currently I use a sea sock, but I think it may not be adequate in severe conditions.

Here are the options I consider along with their pros (+) and cons (-)

***** Option 1. Bulkheads and internal hatches (accessible from the cockpit) (+) Watertight bulkheads are the floatation standard. (+) Unlimited cargo-carrying potential. (+) No holes/leaky hatches on the deck. (+) Bulkheads strengthen the boat by stiffening the hull (according to some).

(-) If a bulkhead/hatch fails 1/3 to 2/3 of boat fills with water. (-) Added weight to the boat (-) Bulkheads weaken the boat by creating stress points (according to some)

****** Option 2. Sprayable insulation foam filling the bow and stern sections. (+) Permanent floatation that is always working no matter what (+) Light, cheap innovative solution that should be easy to "install"

(-) Once in place the area left for cargo cannot be increased (-) Not sure how the foam will hold up in the long run. (-) Unorthodox solution (has anyone done it).

******* Option 3. A few (2-4) cone-shaped and progressively larger rolls of bubble wrap encased in plastic tape (to hold the shape) and stuck in the bow and stern section. (+) The volume of floatation/cargo room may be changed by adding/removing cones. (+) Always works no matter what. (+) Light, cheap and easy to install.

(-) Not sure how the cones will should up in the long run. (-) Unorthodox solution (has anyone done it).

I am somehow attracted to option 3. I wonder if it has any "legs" in your opinion.

PS. This website could really benefit from search functionality, perhaps all these questions have been asked (and answered) before)

Special Financing with Blispay

CLC's Fall Kit Sale