Re: The Canoe Thing

Posted by Kurt Maurer on Oct 21, 2007

I have yet to try cove and bead. I was going to give it a whirl on this project, my tenth, and even went so far as to acquire a fresh bit for the job. But as things got underway, I said t' heckwithit. Why?

It's a lot of work, and I ought to know. I own no less than eight routers if that tells you anything about how much I rely upon them in my woodworking. I could write a book on router jigs and techniques. I've used them in both horizontal and vertical tables, as pin routers, and have operated CNC router machines. I already know that milling cove & beads is gonna be at least twice the fuss as hand planing rolling bevels, if not much more. Using a plane fits better in boat building, anyway; it's quiet and relaxing.

Cove & bead, as with practically all "cheater" techniques, tends to come back and bite you somewhere or 'nuther. Most often it's when they get revealed during finish sanding and the demarcation lines wander, but also when fitting tricky junctions and they triple in tedium. Just to name a couple.

But as I always say, do what works best for you. Also, I'm learning that what works best is subject to change along the way, and it is well to keep an open mind. Lastly, I'm not that great a boat builder, and don't profess to be. I make equipment, not furniture, and my boats are definitely subject to the Murphy's Law that states "Everything looks better from a distance."

In Response to: Re: The Canoe Thing by JEE on Oct 20, 2007

Replies: