Re: time to wet sand

Posted by Mac on Jun 2, 2005

Hey Ray!,

Good on ya!

What does it say on the can? How long since coat 3?

Wet sanding doesn't clog up the paper as quickly as dry (if at all) and, because the paper is water cooled, it doesn't create as much friction heat. I do one pass of the whole hull with one sheet (ie: I don't have to reload the sanding block). However, I wet sand lightly between each varnish coat. I'm also anal.

If you think you're good to go, try lightly wet sanding one part of a panel. Keep looking at the paper as you rinse it. If you see much build-up of whitish varnish that doesn't rinse off in the bucket - you may be too early. Also listen to the sanding block as it initially enters the unsanded varnish area verses the return stroke. There should be an audible difference. This wet sanding goes amazingly fast (at least that's my feeling). After 2 or 3 forward/backward cycles, I find the sound is the same and I move on.

The fingertips of your free hand will also tell you when you've sanded enough.

Please use good quality black 300 or 400 (my preference) grit paper marked for wet sanding. I buy mine at an auto shop, and use the hard rubber sanding blocks they sell as well.

This is the sanding I enjoy most - no dust, no noise - pure Zen.

Enjoy.

Mac

In Response to: time to wet sand by ray on Jun 2, 2005

Replies: