Re: Joe Greenley Lashing

Posted by J.Schott on Dec 23, 2004

As far as the depression goes, that is filled with silicone. There are several methods used in making the loops, so I can only tell you what I know from the method I used. The holes need to be sealed with 2 coats of epoxy so water does not soak in. I made mounting tabs similar to the ones Kurt made for his mill creeks. I believe mine were 1.5x1" rectangles made from the hatch cut outs. I tacked my webbing in place with hot glue and then soaked the tab in unthickened epoxy to permanently glue them in place. This also keeps the water from soaking in the webbing. I placed my loops on wax paper to cure which helps keep the epoxy from dripping off. When they have cured, you will be able to pick your kayak up by them, they are that strong. I bedded mine in from under the deck with clear silicone. Some silicone should come through the slot, sealing the slot from water intrusion. The most water I have ever gotten in either of my hatches during rescue pratice is about a tablespoon or two. I can't tell if it came from my hatch seals or the webbing loops. As far as placement goes, I placed mine as close to the hatch lid as possible. Pay attention to what is under the deck where you are putting your slots, I almost screwed up by putting a loop too close to my rear bulkhead. I hope I haven't confused you too much and good luck with your build.

In Response to: Joe Greenley Lashing Tabs by Greg G. on Dec 23, 2004

Replies:

No Replies.