Khayak finish

Posted by Niels G. Mortensen on May 10, 2004

Thanks for your kind words... I'm very pleased myself with the result. Re. your questions:

Khaya mahogany is different from Sapele, which is a little heavier and darker (I've been told). The kayak is not stained at all; only three coats of epoxy and three coats of Epifanes varnish (roll and tip). It looks quite nice already, but the finish is still not 'deep' enough, so I'll add another 2-3 coats next winter...

I haven't counted the hours of sanding (since they are so joyful ;-) but I guess the final sanding with 120-220 grit was about a day; though not as a concentrated effort. It has been sanded entirely by hand (wet sanding the epoxy and varnish) and has never seen a power sander.

Sanding, in my view, is a very rewarding part of the process: this is where you really get to know the lines of the yak - as well as every little detail - and where you give it it's final shape. Meticulous sanding will improve the looks of any boat; the finest workmanship can be spoiled by a shabby ditto... Thanks again -- Niels

In Response to: Chris, here she is... by Niels G. Mortensen on May 9, 2004

Replies: