Chosing an Adze

Hi Everyone,

So I got my Einbaum Canoe kit from CLC a few days ago, and I've got the fire going well enough. I think it's time I get an adze to start the finishing, but I've not found one I like. I'm really torn between the Stanley or the Craftsman. Does anyone have any advice on, say, metal vs stone blades? I know some of the more advanced builders just make their own, like a greenland paddle. Is that the hot tip? I know CLC is generally pretty good about carrying all the tools you need to build a boat, but I couldn't find one in the shop.

Thanks for any advice.

-- James

17 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chosing an Adze

I think the person who truly values their tools would go for the Lie-Nielsen.

You'll undoubtedly want to get one of these as well:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=65357&cat=1,43513,43516

I just can't decide between metric, or cubit.

--

Ogata, eric

I've been looking for a kit for one of these for a long time, since getting the materials is the thing that's always held me back.  Thanks CLC!

FYI, the kit is supposed to include an adze.  Possibly there was a shipping snafu?

I really prefer the stone adze myself.  in these past 5 minutes I have invested an immense amount of time, energy and expense on the dilemma of steal versus stone and I can now definitively say that stone is truly the only option for a fine craftsman of the dugout canoe.  

There really is no comparison when it comes to ease of use, cutting speed and most importantly the baby-smooth surface that the stone adze leaves.  

-devon 

I can see that this is going to get seriously out of hand in a big hurry!!

Paul G.

Using a controlled burn to shape out a cockpit is a good start but we have strict outdoor fire laws here.  If it doesn't fit in the BBQ you can't burn it.  Maybe there's a Dremel bit that would work?

Chris,

Many people have found that by isolating a bit of their garrage using plastic wrap and masking tape, they can create an appropriately sized bbq. Remember to ventilate properly, and you can start the bbq, by just knocking over your oil heater. :) 

-- James

I would think that the multi-task approach would be best--Choose your canoe log with smoked and barbiqued meats in mind. Be careful --if the best beverage to go with the meat is beer or some-other alcholic beverage it would be best to keep the adze under lock and key for that evening or you could be missing some of your extremities by morning.  CZ

Forget the adze, I can't believe plans aren't available for this canoe! I know Mr. Harris has been burning the midnight oil over this boat but you'd think he'd have time to draw a set of plans for those who'd rather find their own log and save shipping.

George K

Is there a sail kit available (maybe a cow and knife)?

Laszlo

I know we're laughing about this as an April 1 joke, but a friend of mine was seriously considering doing this a few years ago and then enlisting me to help him navigate it up the Yucatan coast.  He's an archaeologist out in California who studies the ancient Maya (I used to be, until I realized that it didn't pay the bills quite well enough), and wanted to trace ancient trade routes using traditional methods.  We never ended up doing it, but I know its in the back of his mind still.  I'd rather do it via kayak or sailboat instead...

~Chris 

I am having a hard time with the Cradle Canoe. 

It looks great in front of the couch but every time I set my beverage on it, the dang thing rolls over.

Any advice is appreciated...

I wonder what type of finish they suggest.  Sanding off all that bark could take a while, even with 60 grit sandpaper, but I would like to go for a bright finish.  Maybe heating up some pine sap to boiling, and pouring it carefully over the outside?  If you get it close to boiling it would probably harden OK after a few years.  I have a pine tree in the back yard I've been thinking of tapping to get enough sap to varnish for my next build anyway....

Kathy

I'm surprised John hasn't found a way to mount an adze on his CNC machine.

I believe the Fintstones were great pioneers in using logs for just about anything from automobiles, right down to baby strollers. I do not recall any canoes -but I am sure they had them being as advanced as they were. The biggest problem with trying to match up with their inovations is that the wood  that was available, seemed to be strong yet very light weight--[the auto was picked up from inside to quickley change direction]. The second draw back is that we do not have the bizzare animals to us as power tools that they had. Think about the garbage disposal, the hedge trimmer, air travel, even Fred's crane at work. I am sure that no fires were needed they just cranked up the saber-toothed beaver and went to town!! Boy you have to miss the good old days......CZ

James - you got ripped off. The Einbaum Canoe Kit is supposed to come with an adze! What are things coming to at CLC? First they will shave costs by omitting the adze. Next it will be a fake log. Come on CLC... send James the adze!

Adze

Oh boy am I in trouble.

I somehow missed the adze in the box. All is now well. 

Now, I just need to get my game together and buy my kayak already. :\ 

-- James

I bypassed the hand tools for "hoggin out my log"   and got a real power tool to do it!   Its a rabid beaver from the local 5 and dime

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.