plywood coaming detail

I am going to use the plywood coaming supplied with the Shearwater hybrid kit. I'm a little unclear how to finish off under the outer lip. Should I put a small fillet there? Then a small strip of glass? 

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: plywood coaming detail

To clarify, what's the best way to seal and prettify this?

There are two options that I am weighing to clean up the look of the outside of the coaming on my 17LT.  

1. cut a 1/16" strip off the side of a 3/4" western red cedar board and epoxy the band to the outside of the coaming.

2. REI sells 3/4" nylon bands that are decorative, I was considering using this if the wood doesn't work effectively.

Let me know what you end up doing.

Jeff

Hey Dan,

I have never done a plywood combing so I dont know in your case but with mine as you have seen, I glass both the inside and outside of the combing wall before installing, then I mix a fillet mixture using wood flour and cab-o-sil around the outside.  The fact that it is only 3/4 - 1" high you dont really see it anyway.  On the inside I glass it to the inside of the deck.  I weigh 250# and haven't broke one yet?

Kev

PS, yak is looking REAL good!!!

Thanks, Kev. Ya, I'm pretty happy with it.

The instructions call for glass across the top and down the inside. Not so clear about the outside lip. I may just fillet, because as you say, you really won't see it.

Next I have to cut the hatches. I have to steel myself for that...

measure once, cut twice, right?

;-) 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.