Another varnishing question

Hi

I guess we are all rushing to finish our winter boat building projects because  a lot of people are posting varnishing questions. Here's mine.

I'm a first-timer and am puzzled over how to varnish the gunwhale for my Eastport Pram. Both inside outside panels will be painted white so I'm varnishing along a long narrow rounded piece of wood. 

I'm wondering how to apply and tip out the varnish. I would think that both application and tipping should be in the long direction and that I should tip back from the unvarnished part into the varnish. How does that sound?

Should I use two foam brushes, one for application and a drier one for tipping? Or I making the whole thing too complicated?

Also, how do people tip out the last part of an area when there's no dry spot left?

Thanks and happy sailing.

Elliot

(Village of Abercorn in the Eastern Townships of Quebec )

a abvarnishing along the gunwhalewith the seats, bottom inside panel and inside and outside transoms varnished. 

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Another varnishing question

I think you'll find that a simple foam brush will suffice, and I don't even think you'll need to tip it off.  I'll tip off when I use a roller, but foam brushes leave a pretty smooth coat.  If you don't load it up too heavily, I think you'll find you won't have sags or runs either.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.