Expoxy - 2nd and 3rd coats

What is the easiest way to apply the 2nd and 3rd coats of expoxy - brush, roller or squeegee?

Thanks in advance for the help! 

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Expoxy - 2nd and 3rd coats

Thin Foam Roller.

Go light on teh epoxy.  If the epoxy goes on to thick it will run, leading to much sanding later.  If you put it on to thin, all that happens is that it takes an extra coat or two to fill the weave but you will avoid runs and won't get more resin than you need.  I thiink I used 5 ckoats to fill the weave on my current build.

Good Luck

Paul G

I liked a foam roller.  Easier to put less product for each coat. Very fast.

Dan 

Thin foam roller, tipped out with disposable foam brush.

Laszlo

What Laszio said.  Five or more thin coats, sanded smooth between coats, for a good finish.  I use the foam rollers for "ultra smooth surfaces", available at Home Depot.  Jer  http://gallery.me.com/jermcmanus

I used a 9" roller made for applying adhesives. It has stiff fine bristles to help force the epoxy into the weave of the fiberglass yet gives good coverage. After application I tipped it out with a foam brush. Worked out well, smooth finish and little sanding. I applied 5 coats just to be safe due to each coat being thin. Applied 2 coats then sanded then 2 more coats sanded and the final coat. I cut the roller down to fit a 4" roller handle, this way you get two for one and your able to work with the curves of the boat (mines an Wood Duck 12). They are available at Home Depot (paint dept)

jmiller

I am obout to begin coating the hull of my ch16 and was wondering the same thing, I have applied several coats to the inside, cockpit, for and aft sections but do not quite understant the term "tipped out" with a bristle brush, do you mean like a final smoothing of the coat to remove run's.

Thanks for any answer, Ted B

Jerry, that sea wolf is one beautiful boat

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.