Kayak resale value?

Has anyone sold their stitch and glue kayak in order to make way for a new build?

I am a bit concerned that if i build a chesapeake 17lt and want to build something different i might not be able to sell it on. 

Is it possible to get the cost of the materials back when you sell, how desirable are stitch and glue kayaks vs moulded plastic?

Many thanks 

13 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kayak resale value?

I built a Shearwater 17 S&G last year and then found out it was too small for me. I sold it quickly through this list for my total cost of the kit and supplies. I probably could have got more for it if I had been more patient. -Wes

Wood kayaks generally sell quite quickly if they aren't priced too high.  IF you want to try and recover some of your labor costs, the likelihood drops significantly.  Generally it's very easy to recover costs of a kit and such, but if you're trying to sell for $2k it's much more difficult, even for a very nice looking boat.

FrankP

Thanks for your reply Frank, does that mean a plastic kayak would have better resale Value or about the same as a good looking stitch and glue? I am in England and all there seems to be are plastic kayaks here not sure why. 

It's the same reason as in the USA - cost. Plastic kayaks can be mass-produced with machinery, resulting in much lower labor costs. Stitch and glue kayaks are very labor-intensive in comparison. It takes about 20 minutes to mold a plastic kayak. Compare that to 60 to 70 hours for a handbuilt unfinished kayak hull.

Even if you somehow manage to build them using slave labor, the materials costs are much higher. The plastic used for rotomolded boats is about $3.00 per lb. Compare that to epoxy ($14.00 per lb), okoume ($6.5 per lb before shipping) and fiberglass ($23.00 per lb).

A very high quality S&G kayak priced only for the materials is your  best chance for a sale. You'll never sell it if you ask for the full labor cost. You'll have trouble getting the full materials cost if the quality, especially the finish, is low.

How do you make a small fortune in boatbuilding? Start with a large fortune.

Laszlo

Hi i can see your point Laszlo, but if you could buy a well finished stitch and glue like a 17llt for £1400 or a plastic moulded for £1400 both new, what would be most peoples choice?

Mark 

In my personal, incredibly limited experience, "Most people" will chose the plastic, in part because without even checking the facts, they'll think it's lighter, more durable, etc. (and they'll be wrong on most counts) However, if you're not in the business of selling kayaks, what "most people" will buy is moot, as you only need one person to buy yours. I've seen a few of them for sale here, and each of the ones I've looked at sold quickly. Obviously, your milage may vary, but they don't seem to have problems selling them for about what the kits cost or a hair more. 

-- James

I built a couple of Mirror Dinghy's when I lived in England, they are stich and glue and are 'similar' to the CLC Passagemaker that I am working on now. There are thousands of Mirror Dinghy's around and they sell easily.

I think it all comes down to classic appearance. Put a Plastic Kayak next to a Wooden one and all the questions/comments will be about the wooden version.- exbrit Alan

What !!!!  you mean I can't get $10 grand for my PocketShip  !!!!!

Gee Wizzz  guess I'll just have to Keep It.

What !!!!  you mean I can't get $10 grand for my PocketShip  !!!!!

Gee Wizzz  guess I'll just have to Keep It

$10 grand is £6250 i have seen sailing dingy's advertised for that much in England so you should get more for a Pocketship http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.co.uk/listings.phtml?cid=110

Mark - the rule is that its perfectly ok to have more than one boat - i'm currently on my 6th build & the shed is bit full - its the only excuse i can give to "she who must be obeyed"

Biggles - If only i had the space, My garage is 16ft by 10ft, I already have to knock a hole in the wall to get an 17lt in there. Thats the problem with England its like America but everything is miniaturised. 

Davenports,

Personally, I'd go for the wooden boat. However, as James points out, over here at least most people have been trained to go for the plastic. Plastic is supposed to be lighter, stronger and more durable. Everyone knows that wood is heavy, it rots and can't stand up to rocks.

I have a lot of fun at boat ramps inviting the audience to pick up my kayak. One guy guessed that my kayak weighed 120 lbs, then almost fell over picking it up because it was less than a third of that.

The durability issue keeps coming up, too. I met a plastic paddler at the entrance to a flooded gravel pit. The Parks Commission had put a rocky barrier across the mouth to keep out power boaters. He admired my boat, but said that his plastic one was more suited for getting through the rocks since it was durable enough to take the abuse of being dragged over them. So he dragged his boat over the rocks, and true enough, they only left light scratches. I picked up my boat onto my shoulder and walked across the rocks, never touching them with the boat.

So while I'm having fun educating the public, there's still a lot of prejudice in favor of plastic.

Laszlo

That's usually what happens to me, Laszlo.  People talk with me a lot about my boat and then when they see me carry it, alone, one handed they simply gawk. Usually my boat is more than a foot longer than the plastics people are paddling (my Northbay is 18'8" or so) and it weighs significantly less.  Most people in plastics have no idea how light boats really can be.

I've made several converts just by carrying my boat around.

FrankP

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.