Epoxy vs. Favorite Jeans......

Folks, I've probably got several pairs of jeans and other leg-wear that haven't survived an epoxy application.  I just won't part with 'em, period.  Is there any way known to man to get a cured epoxy blot out of jeans, etc?  My guess is no, but I figured there mighty savvy boat builders out there who've experienced the same thing and discovered a formula.  Otherwise, I wear 'em with pride!  Best,  Bob H.

21 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Epoxy vs. Favorite Jeans......

I also have a few ruined jeans due to epoxy. Haven't figured out a way to clean them so I attribute the epoxy stains to...er, "character" and I would never part with them. Lesson learned here is that you wear the first stained pair of jeans for epoxy work.

I too have a dedicated set of clothes for epoxy work. Complete with cured epoxy  several different thinknesses and styles.

While looking at paint stripping products to fix a recent botched paint job, I found many that advertized that they repove epoxy as well. They even list that it removed it from clothing and carpet.

It may be worth a try. It was at Lowes, but I'm sure that there are many places it can be found.

...years ago the old Labrador  looked like the punk rocker Billy Idol, after he (the dog not Billy) had dragged his back along fresh epoxy ....

I too keep dedicated clothing in the shop for epoxy work: holey jeans, long-sleeved shirt and old Top-siders. Some people, who are shorter than I am, use the Tyvek suits from Home Depot. While shopping in the paint and resin department at West Marine this morning, I saw that they now sell disposable full body suits with hoods for those really messy jobs. -Wes

Ok folks, I get the message; keep a coupla pair's of jeans, shirts, shoes and hats for epoxy work.  Just know you're gonna get epoxy on whatever you wear.  That's the real lesson!  Thanks and Best,  Bob H.

Ya know...if you, er...deliberately "characterized" your jeans while working on a kayak, I know that high school level students think jeans like this are cool and they spend big $$$'s buying them in stores. Add a couple of rips and wear marks, even bullet holes (latest craze) and you could pull in enough to buy a new kayak kit. Apparently kids are paying upward of $800 CAD for these types of jeans.

Me? Hell no, I would never pay so much $$$ to wear a pair of jeans like that...I pay upward of $600 (from plans) to $1300 (kit kayak) to get these jeans but I also get a kayak out of it for free.

;)

My only problem with the "epoxy designer jeans with bullet holes" is my 61-year-old waist at about 38 or so.  Any kid that size needs more than designer jeans to get him/her through life!   But I like your twist....the jeans come free with the plans/kit to do what you want with them!  The @#$^&@%# epoxy costs more than a new pair of good old fashioned Levis.  I love it.  You've given me a new cause to work my favorite jeans and to get new ones!  And I've got the perfect 9mm for the epoxy-hardened bullet holes!  Thanks for your take on things!  Best,  Bob

jeans are not the problem, t shirts are. I have ruined more t shirts and believe me nothing takes out epoxy. I just learned if it comfortable and i am doing my favorite past time. who cares.

Hey,, I agreed

If talking about me then its like just wearing anything whatvever you like, who cares?? And about epoxy I'd tried out many t shirts, dresses and jeans but yes it nothing takes out.

The only effective way to remove epoxy from clothing is with scissors. - Wes

Fire...but that removes the fabric too. Come to think of it, the epoxy may survive that.

I have learned to turn t shirts and shorts inside out, when applying epoxy or PU paint...doesn't 100% stop the problem, but offers a little more life to the garment...

I buy old worn out jeans at thrift stores to wear for stuff like working on cars, putting epoxy on boats, etc.   That way if they get ruined I am only out three bucks...not $60 for a pair of nice jeans.  

I usually wear a denim work apron, similar to a machinist's apron, when I'm out in the shop, and it has so far saved me from having to resort to the scissors technique.  Epoxy dripping on my old shoes is another matter entirely.

Hmmmm...

Would enough epoxy drips make my old shoes waterproof?

An afterthought - don't know if this would work on clothes or not, but a while back, while glassing the interior of my WD 12, I didn't notice that some epoxy had dripped onto my glasses until late that night, when I found that one of the temple hinges was glued tight.  Feeling that, at that point, I had little left to lose, I put the glasses into a bowl of white wine vinegar.  Next morning, the hinge had freed itself up and I was able to get it back to normal with a few gingerly open and close movements.  Might work on clothes, too, if the epoxy hasn't set too long.

As for shoes, I often wear rubber boots in the shop. Epoxy comes off easily.

Ya know...if you, er...deliberately "characterized" your jeans while working on a kayak, I know that high school level students think jeans Paltal like this are cool and they spend big $$$'s buying them in stores. Add a couple of rips and wear marks, even bullet holes (latest craze) and you could pull in enough to buy a new kayak kit. Apparently kids are paying upward of $800 CAD for these types of jeans.  VERY GOOD

One learns the hard way to remember to change from sandles to shoes.   

I have set aside old dispodable cloths to wear for fiberglassing and my wife keeps asking me why I seen to never wear them when I head out to the shop....  I also have numerous blobs of resin on my garage floor that will have to be ground down someday  - and they are right beside the pile of cardboard I have saved to protect the floor!

Nick

I doubt too many "kids" have upwards of $800 CAD to spend on jeans.   More than likely it is their parents that are paying for those jeans. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.