Yet another WD-12 completed

It's after midnight and thunderstorming, so this is the best I can do for a completion shot at the moment, but here it is - the latest Wood Duck 12, all ready for launch at Okoumefest. Wooden stem & stern pieces instead of endpours, completely glassed inside and out, triple coating of graphite epoxy on the bottom, internal bungee hatch holddowns with tension adjusters, internally mounted footbraces,Creature Comfort seat, rice paper wood duck graphic and a black cover to go with the bottom and the duck.

Can't wait til Saturday.

Laszlo 

13 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Yet another WD-12 completed

Looks good Laszlo.  Yet one more O'fest I'm going to miss, unfortunately.  One of these days I'll make to one of them and perhaps that will motivate me to finish making mods and repairs to my NorthBay.

FrankP 

Looks good Lazlo, and I like the close up of your rice paper wood duck you showed earlier. I am glad that someone's WD is getting to Okumefest.

I certainly learned a few things building mine, but I enjoyed it. Mine also looks better from a couple of yards away. My daughter that helped me with the paint job kept telling me that it looked fine-to leave it alone. 

Ralph

Sorry I won't be able to be there for the launch.  Nice job, buddy.

Ross

youse buid beatiful boats

Real nice job Lazlo.

I really like that paint scheme, wondering why I do not see more boats painted this way. Being a long time boater, that looks real natural to me to have the bottom panels painted very close to waterline area versus all the way up over onto the deck.

Looking forward to seeing more pics of this boat.

- Joe.

Thanks guys. Getting ready in time for O-fest is quite a motivator. Not only does it make one want to get things done, knowing who's going to be there is also incentive for a higher quality of workmanship.

Ralph, it turned out to be the only customer-built Wood Duck there. I thought that'd make it a shoo-in for the Best Wood Duck In Show award, but it seems that the bar for awards this year was higher :-)

Joe,  yeah, I like the way the way it turned out. That dark black really sets off the wood grain, plays well with the wood duck graphic and matches the cover and spray skirt. It's funny, too, because it was actually meant only to be utilitarian. It's a very graphite-rich mixture (1:1 by volume) which gives it the color, and the covered area is what just I thought would need the most protection (bottom and chine seams). The fact that it looks so nice is pretty much a happy accident, but I'll take it.

Ross, you missed a good one. Maybe next year, and if you guys don't mind sharing the the house with a couple of cats (think of it as camping), you could even have a cheap place to stay.

Laszlo

Good to meet you Lazlo.  Yet another fine boat.  Is that an O-fest tradition of snapping your paddle in half? 

Kim

ROFLMAO!!!!

Actually, it was epoxying the last 2 pieces together so I could try out the boat.

Laszlo

It also seems to be an Olympic tradition:

Three cheers for Benjamin Boukpeti for winning Togo's first ever Olympic medal - a bronze in Men's Kayak Single. (picture from AP).

Laszlo

Hey, Laszlo, Very nice job on the WD. I see you chose to wear long sleeves in you picture so as not to embarrass Benjamin with you biceps. Very gentlemanly. SEEYA Jack

Gee, I don't quite look like that guy from Togo either, I can't figure out just what it is, but maybe it is because I don't wear a white helmet... I'm just trying to build my muscles so that I can lift both ends of the paddle at once, it just seems that I can only lift one end at a time- the other end is always stuck in the water...

Without any sports TV channels all I have seen is swimming, volleyball, diving & a little gymnastics. I wish I would get to see more variety at the olympics, say fencing, judo, table tennis, sculling, bike riding.... 

Ralph 

Your finished boat is another sight for inspiration to build my Chesepeak 17. My plans are ordered, Okume ply is in the garage, and I am ready to begin my first boat build.  It will be exciting when I can post a picture of the finished product. 

Nice Job on the WD, I love that graphic. 

Thanks for the kind words, Danno. The graphic is my adaptation of the onlay that CLC sells here, so a bunch of the credit has to go to their artist.

I always find that stage that you're at now to be magically paradoxical. Everything seems possible with the embryonic boat, while at the same time it seems impossible that those flat pieces of wood will ever turn into an elegantly curved boat.

Have fun, the CH17 is a great boat.

Laszlo 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.