Varnish strategy

I'm about to varnish kayak build #5. The first four were painted hull with varnished deck. This build, a Petrel, will be all varnish. I'll be varnishing the hull first, then the deck. I'm just wondering if there are any tricks to getting a good (invisible) blend at the sheer. I wouldn't think you would use tape like with a painted hull, but maybe that works OK. (?) I recall hearing of builders that somehow mount the boat to rotate, like a giant rotisserie, for the varnish application. That would be pretty cool -- a good way to avoid runs in particular -- but way more work than I'm willing to invest (even if I had any idea how to do it).

Jim

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Varnish strategy

I'd suggest you varnish the hull first, masking the deck to catch drips. After you have done four or five coats, flip it over and varnish the deck, masking the hull, but overlap the deck varnishing just a bit onto the hull. -Wes

RE: Varnish strategy

I agree that the rotisserie rig can be troublesome to set up, though self-lighting propane grills have considerably simplified things compared to the so-called "good old days" of charcoal and Lauan doorskin from the Home Depot dumpster.   If you do decide to go this route, be sure to use a meat thermometer.  For safe boating, the kayak must reach 170 F, in order to kill any lingering Salmonella.  And as always, use a PFD, just in case, and a WW-I era gas mask.  Please post photos?  Thanks.

Remember: If even one life is saved, even a Canadian, it will be worth it.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.