Table for doing scarfs, etc...

I'm a first time builder of a Ches 16... just unpacked the kit yesterday, built a table, and am ready to do my first scarf joints tonight or tomorrow (I may just draw out the offsets tonight).  The table is level for about 12 feet of its length, but unfortunately has a small rise/bump toward the end due to a slightly warped sheet of ply.  Will this cause me problems when scarfing everything together?  I was thinking if I have a fair string line, it will be straight regardless of the bump, and the sheer and keel panels should conform right to the table.  Am I right in this thinking, or should I try to manipulate the table to get it as level as possible throughout its whole length?  I'd hate to start off with my first mistakes being on the panel alignment! 

Thanks,

~Chris   

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Table for doing scarfs, etc...

Depends on the extent of the warp.  If the whole sheet of ply just bends up, you're good to go on the scarfing. If there is a twist, it could throw off your measurements.  If the twist is less than 1/4" over 4 feet, I probably wouldn't worry about scarfing.  Epoxying on the sheer clamps requires a little thought.  If the bend isn't much go for it, but put your panels down on opposite sides  of the table so if you build in any curve, the curve is similar on each side and curves the way the hull is supposed to go. 

I would think the table is OK, but....if there is any doubt why not use the floor for gluing the scarf?

Not too concerned... things aren't twisted at all, just that small hump toward the end of the table.  Frankly, I don't think the floor in my barn is any more accurate!  Wish me luck...

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.