amas package on a waterlust sailing canoe for a trimaran version?

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts regarding the compatibility of the CLC sail amas (http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/wooden-sailboat-kits/clc-sailrig-kayak-canoe-sailing-rig.html), designed for clc kayaks and canoes, for use with the recently released waterlust sailing canoe design

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/canoes/waterlust-sailing-canoe.html

The waterlust canoe is a lovely little sailing canoe in it's own right; however with amas, I think that CLC would be close to approximating at hobie adventure island, which is a capable boat but ugly as sin...

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: amas package on a waterlust sailing canoe for a trimaran version?

Not sure if you are aware of this, but the intention is to offer small raised amas, as an option with the Waterlust sailing canoe in the future. I enquired with Dillon (the designer) about this and he said he is waiting for the return of the Waterlust boats, so he can think about the best mounting options. He will then design and offer the amas as an extra. The amas will be raised, so that they are not always in the water, but will offer extra flotation if the boat suddenly heels.

I think this is a great idea, as the amas won't create much drag when pedalling, but will offer extra security in stronger winds. It will still be possible to capsise the boat, but it will be possible to flip the boat back upright and I bet re-entry will be a lot easier.

I'm holding off on a kit purchase until these are available, as the areas I will be using the boat (SW Oz), are prone to stronger winds than the Intracostal waterway, where these boats were tested.

Any updates Dillon?

Yup, here is the response from Dillon:

"Yes, adding the CLC ama kit to the Waterlust canoe would work - however, I'm in the process of developing smaller amas that mount with a single crossbeam for ease of assembly.  We're hoping to have the assembly ready for the Waterlust team to try for the Everglades Challenge, and if we're satisfied with the result we'll add the amas to the kit options!"

Excellent news and a worthy aim! I really hope the amas are a success and the boat fares ok in the Everglades Challenge.

Assuming all goes well (no stress Dillon.....), I'm keen to build one. It's great they are willing to "prove" the boat in such an environment, it can only make for a better and more refined design.

Cheers,

Adrian

Great news. Will be terrific to follow the boats in the Everglades.

Hi There,

Just wondering if the amas got finished in time for the boat to be entered in the Everglades Challenge? Any updates?

Cheers,

Adrian

Dillon told me the other day that the Waterlust team didn't make it to register in time for the Everglades Challenge. I just started building my Waterlust kit and I am tempted to try and participate at next years EC with it.

Dillon told me the other day that the Waterlust team didn't make it to register in time for the Everglades Challenge. I just started building my Waterlust kit and I am tempted to try and participate at next years EC with it.

Any update on amas for the waterlust Canoe?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.

Follow us on Instagram: @clcboats & @clcteardrop