Divorce is pending...

... unless I can remove every last trace of cured epoxy from our tiled patio floor, aka the building site.   Despite my best intentions and a huge sheet of thick black plastic taped to the floor inevitably some epoxy stuck to my shoes as I moved around and...   My wife has been exceeding tolerant, but...

The floor tiles are ceramic, but alas with a slight raised semi-abrasive non-skid finish (being outside).   I cannot even think about getting the angle grinder out...

Unless successful in this task I shall never be allowed to use the a patio    as a workshop again (and plans are in the mail), so HELP, please...

Unhappy Wordsmith  

14 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Divorce is pending...

It's unclear about what you're seeking advice on....

a) how to clean the tiles or

b) go through with the divorce so I can build another kayak

The answer is easy...you'll never get the tiles clean!  I hope those plans in the mail are not for a double.

Alright, I'm adding cheap knock off Crocs to the safety gear list - dedicate them to the job site.

Although, if she leaves me I could get those PocketShip plans. Would have to alter visitation to one kid at a time since I would be living in it.

Will let the lawyers decide which end of the PassageMaker take-a-part I get to keep...

John

PS Home Depot had metal spring clamps on sale last night for $0.99. I'm not affiliated with them in any manner but could not wait to share this news with an appreciative group. My carpool just did not get the magnitude of this find.

I wish I knew more definitively, but just thinking off the cuff here.  Maybe someone can confirm or provide actual experience...  I'm wondering if a heat gun, some vinegar, brush and elbow grease would get some of that epoxy off.

Your marriage is safe.  A heat gun (or her hair dryer) and some gentle persuasion with a scraper will release the epoxy.  The spots will need to get pretty hot but they will yield to heat.

I've gotten in on wood floors before and on my kitchen counters and it seems to just chip off if you can get a putty knife on the edge and apply a little pressure?

I've bought spring clamps a few times and Home Depot and I think they are always .99c.  They may have just had a display of them but they are always .99c here in MI.

Goo-gone might help if the tiles were sealed or ceramic. Let the Goo-gone cleaner sit - it is citrus based and is great for removing adhesive, even strong ones like epoxy, plus it smells like oranges. Home Depot sells large bottles of Goo-gone and the dollar store usually has small bottles. It worked when I tracked epoxy on unsealed concrete with some patience and an exacto knife to help chip the larger chunks off. Best of luck. 

Thanks, guys: there's nothing like a little sympathy - and this was (mostly) nothing like a little sympathy!   But I enjoyed a wry smile and quiet chuckle...

I tried the paint-remover heat gun approach on one of the hardened epoxy blobs (most of the rest is just a collection of smudge marks where I have trodden in some resin and transferred dirt and dust onto the tiles) and yes, a bit laborious but it will work.   I shall wait until My Beloved is out of the house for a cuppla hours and get stuck in so that I can reveal a sparkling, epoxy-free patio floor once more.   Then - and only then - can I show her the new plans and ask her opinion of the next project....

Many thanks - saved my bacon!

Wordsmith

I know this is an older post , and I hope all is well. For future refference, there is a product called attack epoxy solvent. I will effectivly remove cured epoxy. About $12. on line.

Hide sight being perfect you'll never do that again! I would try steam on it if the other products don't get it all.

I built mine over carpet in my house "after the divorce" and put wall to wall cardboard over the carpeting and had some slip on shoes that stayed on the cardboard in the zone where I entered/exited aware the days that my shoes had sticky stuff on them.

DO NOT use a putty knife to hack the epoxy off your floor and shoes. Use a heat gun or even a hair dryer at high setting, heat the epoxy until it is soft and then use a putty scraper to gently tease the epoxy off. Epoxy softens when heated and becomes way easier to remove. For any residual epoxy left after you remove the worst of it, use an acetone soaked rag (maybe the corner of the rag) to wipe up the residual. If you don't want to use acetone, try using vinegar: the white vinegar you use at home is a 5% mixture and should work.

Robert N Pruden

Sigh...having now just read the "other" posts I can see that you got the advice you needed.

Pruden, are you maybe thinking of cured epoxy when you suggest acetone or vinegar?

I meant to say, are you thinking of  uncured epoxy?

I was equally excited about the .99 clamps and bought several.  Seems like a great deal.  Did notice later however that they are always .99.  Oh well..still seems like a deal to me?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.