Paint tipping question

When you tip out the bubbles in Interlux paints after application with a foam roller, do you use a dry brush or do you wet the tip with paint?

Scott

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Paint tipping question

Start with a wet foam brush, but not overly wet.  If you start with a dry brush you will end up with about a foot of goobered-up area until the brush gets wet and starts sliding smoothly.  Same applies to tipping out resin and varnish.  Good luck.

Wetting the brush for paint and varnish is right on.....but, amazingly, when you tip out epoxy it really works better with a dry foam brush. Come in on the surface with a light touch and moving at a moderate speed and then lift off gently. Even an hour or hour and a half after applying this works well to pop the little bubbles and their is only a very small residue left on your brush which can be blotted off with a clean rag dipped in alcohol so you can use the brush again.

DocChicago

Very timely for me, this one!   Just started painting the Ches 17LT using a foam roller and foam tipping brush.   Referring to the foam brush - do I tip from the just-laid surface back into the previous one (from a few seconds ago) or from the earlier one into the newly-rolled surface?   This marine paint seems to want to set immediately!   I am finding - close up - that there seems to be a definite vertical transition line between the two adjacent surfaces, even though I'm rolling-on only a short length of fresh paint and immediately tipping-out.   What am I doing wrong (if anything)?   BTW - thanks to whoever suggested 3M FineLine tape recently - it truly does give a razor sharp masked-off line.

Wordsmith

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.