Epoxy cure time

I have just started on gluing the puzzle joints on my Shearwater 17 S & G kit. The temp outside today is 68 but will drop to the low 30's tonight. I have lamps above each joint as well as a small electric heater in the garage. I suppose the average temp in the garage will remain between 60-70 degress perhaps dropping a bit lower toward the morning. Is 72 hours a sufficient cure time or should I wait longer to be on the safe side. Thanks

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Epoxy cure time

I have just started gluing the puzzle joints on my Shearwater 16 Hybrid S&G kit and the temp is around 60-70 maybe a little lower at night and the joints dry overnight. so i think you will be fine.

Sweb94

Epoxy takes about a week to fully cure even under ideal conditions. Since the joint is going to be under stress and the temperature is well below optimum, I would wait at least a week before I tried to bend the panels.

I'm building in MI right now and likewise using heaters some nights to try to keep a temp of around 60.  I find 24 hours or sometimes less has been enough time.  Even if the first 8-12 hours are 60-70 and the last 12 hours isn't quite that high, it has still cured fine.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.