Varnish & epoxy question...

I have a mohogany compass riser that I shaped to mate to the deck of my Shearwater just forward of the bungee cord rigging, the riser is not glued to the deck at this time...

I am presently going through the varnishing procedure, at my 3rd coat on the deck... 

When the boat is finished and time for rigging, I plan to epoxy the compass riser to the deck. Does anyone see a problem with this...gluing the riser to half a dozen coats of varnish? Should I instead mount the riser using a SS screw from underneath, from inside the cockpit?

I didn't want to glue it ahead of time before applying the varnish for a reason, I did not want to work around it varnishing and wetsanding, I believed all this work would show and look bad from working in a circle constantly in probably the most noticeable area on the deck.

Anyway I think I am 'talking' myself into drilling the deck using a screw from underneath to secure it and with a dab of marine RTV.

Interested to 'hear' your thoughts and what others do with things like this.

P.S. This pic is from a temporary rigging before I sanded the boat. I rigged it and then drilled all the rigging holes out bigger to fill them in (drill, fill, drill).

temp deck riggingtemp rig

http://bp3.blogger.com/_kWKZM7h0dsg/R_wLh9p6KII/AAAAAAAAAFw/o1VlJC-

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Varnish & epoxy question...

Nevermind the pic. It didn't work. I tried inserting it and then pasting the link, neither was a success.

If you screw it, don't forget a backing plate.

Kim

Does anyone see a problem with this...gluing the riser to half a dozen coats of varnish?

Yes, the varnish will act as a contaminant to the joint. If you really want to varnish the area before attaching the mount you definetly need a mechanical attachment method.

Keep in mind that as you use the boat the varnish will eventually crack and allow water to seep in between the compass mount and deck. This won't be a big deal if both the deck and compass mount are properly epoxy-sealed, but you do want to use an attachement method that allows the mount to be easily removed so that the finish can be repaired.

Laszlo

but you do want to use an attachement method that allows the mount to be easily removed so that the finish can be repaired.

Laszlo

Hmmm, good point. I will drill, fill, drill and countersink a bolt into the riser and bolt it to the deck, using a bent fender washer underneath as a backplate and a dab of RTV to serve as a gasket. Strong, reliable, maintain the hulls water-tightness and will be removable for repairs down the road.

Thanks guys. - Joe.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.