K14 SUP Weight

My K14 - with top glued down and trimmed, with no exterior fiberglass or fins weighs in at 31lbs. 

This is my first SUP build.  Whats everyone think about that weight?  Over the norm?  Under at this stage?

Tx!

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: K14 SUP Weight

CLC lists the 14 ft weightat 32 lbs, but that would really require you to skip steps that may only produce a SUP strong enough for specialied use, but not for general purpose use,

Just finished one at 35 lbs. - probably could have gone a hair lighter, but i was pretty dilgient at cleaning up, thinned internal resin, narrow filets and the like - but i see no way of getting a standard build down ot 32 lbs. To really get light - skip the transom, cloth design, filleting the bulkheads, glassing underneath the deck etc.

Yep, mine with  4 oz cloth outside and under deck and some cloth design for deck and CLC deck pads is pushing 40 lbs.  The CLC estimate of 32 is very optimistic.

P.S. My Daughter paddled the 40# Kaholo to 1st in her class at a race this fall.  

The other day I had my 12.5 Kaholo deck  loaded with six gallon jugs of water...about 48 pounds.  It really cut thought the water nicely and had a nice glide to it.  Don't sweat the weight.  You will love the board.  

Mine came in at 31.5 lbs. Hull not yet varnished, 10" fibre glass fin/skeg box, 2metre deck pad.

HOWEVER, I approached the build with the intent of going as light as possible and beefing up any areas if needed. Some things I would do again and some i would not. 

One area that I cut down on weight was the glassing of the deck. I used 85gsm (<3oz) which is OK, but I only glassed 2 metres top and bottom. I had no intention of putting a child or dog up front so didn't think that I needed the glass reinforcement. What I didn't anticipate was being pitched forward when I hit a submerged object. Landed on deck and cracked it. Not a big deal as I plan on stripping deck at a later date.

I think that 32lbs using the process as per plans would be very difficult.

Regarding weight and performance, there are only 2 real advantages to light weight. Acceleration and car topping. Acceleration is important for racing and catching runners but not important for recreational paddling. Heavier craft actually feel more stable.

Cheers

Sounds like you are getting helpful responses to your inquiry on the weight. I was very diligent in my build and the considerations I made when it came to replacing the kit's fixed twin fin set up, opting to  fabiricate and install a single fin box. My completed board, plus fin, weighs in just under 34 lbs.

I followed CLC directions regarding glassing the various surfaces (underside of the entire deck) and didn't cut any corners. I did not install the cedar strips for the tailblock and went with a simple pin stripe design rather than fabric decor. I also installed a leash plug into the deckside reinforcement I created by installing the fin box reinforcement and a 24" SUP deck strap which is a fantastic way to "handle" the board.  

There is certainly a sense of pride that can come into play regarding how light a build you can produce (I admit falling into that peculiar catagory) but, as Craig wrote above, at the end of the day the weight differences are rather negligible when it comes to the general on-water performance characteristics of the Kaholo. 

Continue with confidence that whatever the final weight, you've created a great SUP.

Cheers!

Dan

The simplistic pin strip looks sharp.  Please explain how you did it....  Taped it off...what kind of paint you used...Is there epoxy or varnish over the stripe?....What kind of tape you used...

No paint. Just a standard auto detailing tape. Incredibly simple and easy to work with. Same stuff they use to complete the edges of fabric layouts. I used Prostripe "Pinstripe" 1/8 in. Black. About $4.00 for a 40 ft roll. Got it from a local Auto Zone.

Applied the tape after my final varnish coat had dried, trimming it to the desired length and angling the ends with an exacto blade. No need to varnish over it. In fact, that would probably be problematic. The tape has super adhesion and will stay put under incredibly demanding conditions.

Cheers!

Dan     

Here's a detail of the bow. I carried the 2" space between the pads as my distance between the outside stripes and then ran a stripe right down the middle. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.