Epoxy-paint-varnish; or Epoxy-varnish-paint...

OK, I might be missing something.  Finished construction of Chesapeake double, yeah for paid time off! Happy holidays to all!

Entire hull is now sanded and ready for finishing. The question is to paint or varnish first... 

I will be utilizing the schooner varnish which has an amber tint to it. In addition, at some level I would like to see what the craft looks like with a classic varnish finish, all varnish.  A little worried that the varnish will change the color of paint if applied first.

Back to what should come first on a mixed finish.

After all this, I don't want a vessel suited for a Viking funeral service....nice imagery.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Epoxy-paint-varnish; or Epoxy-varnish-paint...

I always reckon painted hull, with varnish on the deck. I would varnish the deck first, then mask off and do the paint on the hull. If you pull the tape whilst the paint is still wet, you get a really nice edge. You can do hull followed by deck, but that tends to give a yellow varnish line on light paint. To visualise a fully varnished boat, just wipe it over with water after sanding. This has the advantages of less obvious scratches, but a bit too woody for my own boat. Paint over varnish is fine, if you can't decide - but I'd rather pick one then get on the water.

Arrgh... I put some paragraphs in there to make sense, which have gone. I am suggesting wetting to visualise the all over varnish look. Then I suggest a varnished hull makes scratches less obvious - not that wiping with water has a mystical rock repelling effect!

Another option, which I have used and prefer, is to varnish the deck to a masked line, paint the hull to the same line, then cover the slightly uneven line with 1/4" black marine vinyl tape. This method results in a very professional looking job. The tape shows no sign of failing after three seasons of hard use in both salt and fresh water. -Wes

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.