Removing plywood sticker goo...

I'm building a cradle boat, and while on the Shearwater I'm building I'm able to overlook some cosmetic things because "I'm building a boat, not a coffee table", in the cradle boat case I'm literally building a coffee table as a gift.  So, the cosmetics matter!

So, the problem is that the okume the boat is cut from has the blue plywood sticker on it.  I pulled the sticker off, but a substantial amount of sticker goo was left on the wood.  An attempt to lightly sand it off quickly resulted in the goo clogging the sandpaper and being spread around, rather than being removed.

I'm a little wary of trying something like "Goo Gone" or such becuase I'm worried about discoloring the wood, or making the problem worse than it is...

Anyone have any suggestions about how to get the goo off cleanly?

Thanks!

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Removing plywood sticker goo...

Denatured alcohol, or even rubbing alcohol, works. Soak the residue and use a plastic scraper to remove it. Allow it to dry and lightly sand what may be left. 

Geroge K

Scrape gently with a chisel, sand lightly, scrape, repeat as necessary.

Goop (get at Lowe's) will take off the gummy label, but may not be compatible with your finish. 

I think it would beat the "Scrape gently with a chisel, sand lightly, scrape, repeat as necessary." method..

Good Luck

If the "goo" area will be finished bright you can't go wrong with denatured alcohol but it may take several applcations to be safe. The long term effects on the wood color and epoxy adhesion with anything with a petrochemical base is a concern.

As bad as the glue is on the wood I certainly don't want something dissolving it into the wood.

The scuff and scrape method dosen't take that long IMO.

I'm looking for a bit of clarification and reassurance here.  I have the same concern with the Wood Duck double kit I just got.  Two of the puzzle joints are cut right through areas covered with blue stickers (drat!).  Since I plan to paint the hull, I'm not concerned cosmetically, but I obviously need to be concerned structurally as these are on the bilge panels.  Am I to understand from the previous posts that denatured alcohol should clean these joints adequately as well as not pose any problems with secure assembly with epoxy and glass?  Or would the "scuff and scrape method" be safer?

I had labels on a puzzle joint of a W D 12. After slowly peeling the sticker bits off I went over tthe residue several times with the denatured alcohol on a lint free cloth and it did the trick. No problems with epoxy on the joint and no discoloring.

Thanks a lot, Catboater.  That was just the info I needed. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.