WoodDuck 10 when to tack weld??

Is it ok to build the hull first,or should we tack weld both hull and deck at one tome, whats the easiest why to do that, Im doing a full plyweood for the first time, even though I find the hybrid easier to build, please help...thanx Pete

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: WoodDuck 10 when to tack weld??

Hi Pete,

I'm wrapping up my second WD12 all ply also after two WD hybrids. I agree wiyh ya 100% about the hybrids being easier! These two ply WDs are being built solo and without more hands I opted not to follow the plans and assemble the complete deck to the complete hull. The only issue I had to deal with was getting the two pieces in proper 'curve' to allign with each other. The hull was an easy matter of creating some spreaders to fit the bow area where the temp bulkheads were. These were screwed at the ends from the outside.

The deck was a bit fussier. I wound up using a wire tensioner on the inside and had to put a considerable amount of torque on it. This may be partly due to my using 6mm Sapele - could not find the 4mm in my area.

I'm doing the cockpit now and in hindsight have no issues with putting it together like that.

Hope that helps, Bob.

Here's some pics: link

To see the pictures of the spreaders and wire click on 'posts' in the far right column and scroll waydown.

Both at the same time, wire them together skipping every other hole. Work kind of quickly to get them back together before they cure to much. The hull gets skinnier, and the deck gets flatter. They need to be together to hold the right shape.

I wired up the hull first, then wired up the deck, wired the deck to the hull and cut out the hatch.

Then I separated the deck from the hull, tacked, filleted, taped and glassed the inside of the hull.

Next, I tacked, filleted, taped and glassed the inside of the deck. (note - glassing the inside is not part of the plans, I added it because I was going to use my boat hard).

Finally, I joined the deck to the hull and glassed the outside.

Lots of gory details and pictures at Building a Wood Duck 12

Have fun,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.