Deck finishing and rigging questions

Just finishing up a WD14 that I started last year and had a few questions..

I have the final varnish coat done, not perfect but close as I'm going to get...and there are a few spots that aren't the "glass smooth" finish as the rest of the boat, and am wondering if there is any final polishing/waxing that I can do to blend these area's and keep the glossy shine?

And on the deck rigging. I've made the nylon web loops, but instead of attaching to the deck using a machine screw and bolt on the inside of the hull, can I use stainless steel sheet metal/wood screws and knock of the points on the inside of the boat?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Deck finishing and rigging questions

Wood screws will not be strong enough and will pull through the deck. I'm not familiar with the WD, but I hope there is a washer between the nut and the underside of the deck to spread the load.

Dan

I'm assuming the WD doesn't have sheer clamps, so through bolts are called for. Personally, that is how I'd do it, with the under-deck washer that Dan mentions. But, if you really wanted to use wood screws, you could maybe use a short block under the deck to screw into. Make it long enough so it doesn't try to rotate when tightening. Otherwise, the wood screws will eventually pull out of the deck plywood. dave

How about this rigging option? More work but truly elegant.

http://www.redfishkayak.com/softpadeyes.htm

If you don't want to drill, maybe try the carbon eyestraps CLC sells

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.