Suggestion For My Next Build

I've already built a Shearwter 17 S&G, and a Shearwater Hybrid, and I'd like to build a full stripper next. I can't decide what to build.

I really like the Shearwater. What I really want to do is build a a stripper that most closely resembles it in characteristics: Greenland Style, fine bow entry, flared sides, V bottom, hard chines, etc. I went to the demo in Yonkers yesterday, to try the Petrel and Night Heron. I didn't see a regular NH, so I tried the Hi-Deck version. Surprisingly, the Petrel felt much more stable than the Heron, I was expecting the opposite. Unfortunately, the space allowed to paddle was limited, and I couldn't  really try either kayak at "sprint" pace, or evaluate the tracking. I liked the maouverability of the Petrel, but it seemed almost TOO "manouverable"-hard to keep on course. I'd lean towards the Petrel, but frankly, neither boat felt like waht I wanted. Any suggestions?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Suggestion For My Next Build

With a couple boats done..have you checked out kayakfoundry..free program to design you're own.. it is ausome...

Jim,

Sorry for the lack of space. Next year we'll move some of those pesky rocks. ;-)

Did you try putting the skeg down in the Petrel? It makes a big difference. I'm fabricating one for the Petrel I'm building.

Dan

Send an email to Nick Schade.  Since the strip boats are his design, he should have some helpful comments and he is a very helpful guy.

My building progretion was much like yours.  A Mill Creek 16.5 S&G first followed by a Shearwater 17H.  I am now building the 11 Ft Little Auk.  You will find the all strip consrtuction to be a nice step up in challenge.  Good luck with whatever you build.

PAG

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.