question about stitch and glue

I have a very limited idea of how S&G works. What I don't know is how much fiberglassing is used. I understand about filleting the joints but how much cloth is used? Is the entire boat covered with FG cloth or just the joints and bottom. Are some parts of the boat just encapsulated with epoxy and varnish. I'm interested in the new 15 ft skiff,,,, how much of that boat is covered with cloth? Thanks.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: question about stitch and glue

It all depends on which boat you're building.  I'm still slowly working on a Skerry and can tell you that the interior is glassed to include the bottom and the first strake, or plank.  The exterior is glassed in the same way.  Every single bit of wood in the boat is coated with epoxy. All epoxy exposed to the elements must be coated with either paint or varnish with a uv filter because epoxy will deteriorate eventually in the sunlihgt. 

Some of the boats require all of the filleted joints to be taped with fiberglass and some don't and I guess the reason is something a marine architect or the designer would have to tell you.  I doubt that to any of us builders the why's or why-not's are that important. 

As for that new 15 foot skiff it appears that every joint is taped with fiberglass.  this will no doubt add to the sanding time but will make for a very strong boat.  I found the fiberglassing part of the build to be very easy.  You just need to read, understand and follow the instructions in the manual.  There are also many books available on stitch and glue construction which will give you a good understanding of the process.  Dont hesitate.  Jump in and you will amaze yourself.

I just finished epoxying the Shearwater 17. I was very frugal with my epoxy but still found that I had to order more than the kit recommended to do the final coats. I'm not sure if other builders have had this issue but my tota cost went up higher than expected as a result. 

I have found that you use less total epoxy if you recoat with thin layers before the previous coat dries up completely and follow up the rolling with a foam brush to smooth out any bubbles. If you let it dry so that it is no longer tacky, you will have to prep sand and there goes maybe 20% or more of the expensive epoxy that you just applied.

If the description of the skiff your considering doesn't have a materials list posted on the site, you can call CLC and ask them. They are very helpful and knowledgeable

Yes...I had the same issue and also had to order up more epoxy.   Thought I was being pretty careful but couldn't pull it off with what came with it.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.