night heron

I'm not clear on weather to us a sheer clamp or not the manual dosen't really say or I miss it also it said that you can us the high deck in a combination I want to us the low deck at the bow and the high deck atf but were do I start the transtion at what form? one more thing has anyone used a scarf jig I found two one for a router and one using a skill saw what one works better

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: night heron

As to the scarffing jig if you are cutting scarfs on 9mm and thicker Plywood the skilsaw version from that west system epoxy sells is quite good we use a custom designed router scarfing tool in our shop it uses a 11/2" dia. cutter and cuts almost perfect scarfs in little or no time. We have both in our shop and now that I have design perfected (well almost)  for the router we never use the skilsaw version any more during the last 12 months we  (students and myself) have scarfed about 140 sheets of plywood and many kayak and other boat panels up to 18mm and have only one problem cut in the bunch (the bit was not retightened after sharpening) so I would definately look to a router system> It takes only minutes to set up and we can cut a set of 4x8 panels in a matter of 5 minutes

cfoxboatschool.com 

I came up with this router scarf jig and it worked great on my 2 CH16's and MC 16.5.  I had to extend the bed (bottom Pic) to scarf the wide bottom panels of the Mill Creek but it wasn't that big of an issue.  I've never used a skill saw to cut scarfs but I did set up a table saw jig to scarf my sheer clamps and rub rails.  I can't speak to the Night Heron question yet....I'm still reading up and considering a twin Petrel build this fall so I'll be watching the responses.

ChrisRouter Jig

Chris,

Your high quality images and masterful use of punctuation really get the point across.

Laszlo

>>>>>>>I'm not clear on weather to us a sheer clamp or not the manual dosen't really say or I miss it >>>>>>>>>

You don't mention WHICH of the numerous Night Heron variants your building, but in any case none of them use sheer clamps. 

>>>>>also it said that you can us the high deck in a combination I want to us the low deck at the bow and the high deck atf but were do I start the transtion at what form? >>>>>

The transition would be in the cockpit area.  Not a trivial mod;  you need to have a clear mental picture of the strips curving smoothly down from the high forward deck to the low aft deck without humps and bumps, and I think at least some of the molds would have to be modified to suit.

Lazlo!!!! needs to quit being an english Nazi and learn instead of believe he is "the gift" of knowledge to this forum. I suspect maybe he needs more to do. Although I will agree very nice work on the photography, but why not give the praise thats due a very nice job on the jig and design Chris

C Fox 

I'll fall back on my Canadian politeness and naïveté and accept Laszlo's comments as a compliment....

Bon soir

Chris 

Chris,

The compliment on your presentation and quality of the images was quite sincere. Please don't take it any other way.

Laszlo

That's what I thought....

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.