stapling onto the forms WD HY 12

Hello, I am building a wood duck hybrid and im getting ready to start the deck, but I was wondering if you staple the strips to the forms, how do you remove them later on. Is there a certain type of staple to use. it just seems like they would be very difficult to remove.

Thanks

Tim

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: stapling onto the forms WD HY 12

I used 9/16" staples, they need to be long enought that they stand proud of the strips.  The size probably depends on how strong your staple gun is. 

Don't pull the staples out with a office-supply type of staple puller, it will leave marks on the strips.  I used heavy duty needle-nose pliers, grabbed the staple without touching the strips and just pulled them straight up and out.

One other thing I wish I had have known...  When gluing the strips, don't try to fill any gaps between the strips with glue.  The epoxy will fill any gaps, and will look better.

Have Fun!  Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the info, I was wondering how to keep the wood mark free when removing the staples, and now I won't worry about the glue either..

Thanks again !

Tim

Tim

I just finished a WD 12 hybrid and minimized the staples/ nails by only nailing the 2 outer strips and the 2 middle strips and then I made a "u" clip out of 1/4 inch plywood and secured the strips with this clip and a clamp.   I used copper brads 3/4 inch long on the outer and center strips and nailed them proud so I could pull them with needle nose pliers.  I got this idea from one of Nick Schades books and Lou Farhood had a posting on this forum last winter.  The clip/clamp method secured the strips very well and minimizes the holes in the strips.

Checkout my build at rodskayakadventure.blogspot.com

Rod

Rod,

Thanks for that suggestion. I checked out your blog and your wood duck looks amazing ! You have great photos there, and I as able to see the clip you were talking about. I know im going to be using your photos as a guide during my build.

Thanks again

Tim

Tim

Enjoy the rest of your build and don't hesitate to use this forum or CLC tech support.  They were both very helpful during my build.

Rod

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.