interlux prekote primer

I am finally at the painting/varnishing stage of my Wood Duck 12.  I put on the first coat of primer and sanded it off with some minor sticky spots.  reread the directions..."don't apply in high humidity conditions".  Michigan is warm and humid most of the summer. I am painting in my garage and for the second coat I put my 3 spot lights with 150 watt bulbs above the kayak and turned on a fan and a room dehumidifier.  If this does not work should I just sand off all of the primer and wait for a drier day?  Anyone have any experience with the interlux primer and paint?  Is the humidity issue as critical with the Brightside paint?

Thanks

Rod

Check out my build at rodskayakadventure.blogspot.com

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: interlux prekote primer

Hi Rod,

You are correct !!!  Interlux paint does not like humidity at all.  The paint likes it much less than the primer.

On my WD I had lots of trouble painting in the garage this same time last year. As soon as I moved to the basement with the dehumidifier, the paint worked just great.  You have to send the wife shopping all day if you paint inside. IT STINKS BAD !!!

Just sand up the primer smooth and wait for low humidity.  It sands up very easy.

The Guillemot is almost finished.  We will have to get together for a paddle.  I hooked a few nice bass in the WD yesterday. What a blast that was !!!

Lou

Thanks Lou

Looking forward to the paddling and fishing from the wood duck and would enjoy paddling and fishing with you.  I am a patient guy but I would like to launch this thing by the 4th of July.  Looks like drier weather by Saturday and if I can sand this 2nd coat of primer today I will wait until this weekend for paint.  The basement is not an option, no way to get it in/out of the basement.  Yes, paint/primer stinks!  Did you leave the masking tape on the hull for all coats of primer and paint?  Did you use the roller/foam brush technigue for painting as suggested by CLC?

How many coats of paint did you apply to the hull?  I think the next build will have the epoxy/graphite bottom.  The graphite/epoxy bottom sounds faster and more durable.

How many coats of varnish on the deck of your duck?  I remember that you used something different on the deck.

Rod

Rod

I pulled the masking tape off with every coat.  As soon as the paint started to get tackie.  Home Depot type  masking will not work !!!  The paint will bleed under the tape.  I used 3/8" wide pin strip tape from an auto paint supplyer to tape the line. Then I used regular 3" wide Home Depot masking tape over the pin strip tape.

Yes I did use a foam roller and it worked great.

I put down about 4 or 5 coats of paint to get the depth of color to look right.  I used white and it was very transparent. I think that the darker colors will not need as many coats.

I did not use varnish on the deck. I used Supermarine SM2000 clear coat. A big mistake !!!  I will never use that again.  All my kayaks will have varnish.  Ask me about how many coats in about two weeks. I will start varnishing the Guillemot this weekend.

Take care

Lou

Thanks agasin Lou.

I couldn't wait for better weather and put a dehumidifier in the garage, turned on my 150 watt shop lights, turned on a fan, cracked the garage door about a foot and painted the first coat of Brightside paint on the hull, looks good so far.  I'll go take off the frog tape and see what I have.  I put 2 coats of primer on and one coat of paint, hope I don't have a big mess taking off the tape!!  Can't wait to launch the wood duck!!

Rod 

Frog tape is not the best tape to use, it is formulated for latex paint.  Also if you tape over a finish paint it will peel the paint when removing the tape, unless it is fully crosslinked and cured.

Got lucky!!  The frog tape pulled off and everything looks fine(2 coats of primer and one coat of Brightside Polyurethane).  I'll get some pinstripe tape for the last 2 coats.

Rod

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.