CA (cyanoacrylate) glue?

Has anyone here tried any of the new CA glues, especially for tack-welding deck assemblies to hull assemblies? Seems to me that if it works it might save a lot of time compared with waiting for epoxy tack welds to cure. Just a thought.

Jim

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: CA (cyanoacrylate) glue?

Nick Schade recommends using CA glue in his new book. It works well for a pro like Nick or in boat building classes where time is essential, but might not be worth the cost for most home builders. -Wes

Being an r/c airplane builder I had CyA on hand during my WD10 build.  When I couldnt get the deck plywood to hold the right shape with the sheer ply I used a few tacks of CyA to hold the shape.  It worked well for me.

I have used CA glue on a bunch of my builds.  One thing that really helps is to use the CA accelerator that you can buy at any hobby store.  

Thanks to all who replied. I think I'll try it next time around.

Jim

I highly recommend "Slozap."  IT gives you about 40 seconds to work with, is stronger than thin CA, and fills gaps.  Good stuff, but pricey.

Rich

Don't forget to use your respirator on when using this stuff.  I too use lots of it building model sailplanes.  The thin stuff actually smokes when applied especially if you use the "kicker".  Breathing the fumes can at worst cause serious lung damage...at best, you will have flu-like symtoms for a few days.

More great advice and wisdom. Thank you.

Jim

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.