Night Heron and CLC kit cut end forms 1, 16, 17, and 17.5

In an effort to measure twice and cut once I have come to the conclusion I am confused in regard to installing my CLC kit end forms on my strongback.

Here is my confusion:

on page 75 of Nick's "Strip-Built Sea Kayak" figure 5-27 states "Completing the end form assembly by gluing cross-sectional forms to either side of the end form. Before this job, however, you must remove the center of the sectional form, to account for the thickness of the end form."

Therefore, should I remove the difference of the end forms from my CLC kit forms numbered 1, 16, 17, and 17.5, or has this already been done for me by CLC?

I think that the CLC forms numbered 1, 16, 17, and 17.5 are already cut to the proper sizes for gluing on the end forms, but I just want to make sure, I don't want to cut something that was done for me!

Your experience is greatly appriciated!

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Night Heron and CLC kit cut end forms 1, 16, 17, and 17.5

I am presently building a Guillemot and paused at that same point. It seems that the book is assuming that you have cut out the sectional forms yourself and need to take into account for the thickness of the end forms. In my kit, the sectional forms were in two halves, thus not needing to be cut.

Barry

Just to increase your confidence.  I second Barry's remark.  Worked fine for me just gluing them on as is.

Ed (petrel kit)

Wow, that takes the guess work out of the picture, and the build can continue!

Thanks Ed and Barry!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.