Wood Duck cockpit paddle drippage

If I can do it without getting wet, does it mean my technique is improving? Had a cold rainy spell last week but was determined to take a planned trip and paddle anyway, keeping the paddle more horizontal, taking care not to dig too deeply and get a waterfall from the high end. (Quite refreshing last August!) Succeeded in staying dry this time, but banged the combing more than I'd like.

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood Duck cockpit paddle drippage

Make yourself a half skirt http://www.outdoorplay.com/Half-Skirt-Splash-Deck-Kayak-Spray-Skirt?gclid=CKix4ZDyzKcCFRNl7AodNkjgkA and put a batton in it to make it convex on top. SEEYA Jack

that is exacly what I did.  There is an additional benefit, you will stay cooler as you are now sitting in the shade.  I actually got a sunburn the first time I paddled a rec boat.  I arrived @ paddlefest in my 17' complete with skirt.  took a 1.5hour class in a rec boat with no skirt :(

also, I added a net to the underside of my splash skirt that serves as a bottle holder and other then large waves breaking over the bow, I had stayed dry dry dry.

I ordered the sprayskirt from CLC three weeks ago, but it's still on backorder, boo, hisss...!!  ;-)

Make your own, seriously it is dead easy.

It would probably be best to make/get a spray skirt.  I made a cockpit cover for my Shearwater and it was really easy (neoprene, lefotver bungee cord, neoprene glue).  Spray skirt would be a bit more complex, but not that bad (just make sure you have a good handle on the front - I tied one of those white golfball sized whiffle balls to my handle so it's easy to locate in case you're underwater). 

The disadvantage to the low angle paddle stroke you dsecribe is that, besides hitting the coaming, you probably aren't getting as much power from each stroke as when you have the blade buried so you can tire more quickly.  

I like them both (1/2 skirts and full skirts).

The full skirt keeps out the water, but it also has a few disadvantages - it can get hot, sweaty and smelly in the cockpit on a hot day and it's hard to get to anything inside the cockpit so the deck rigging gets littered with bottles, anchors, etc. Because of this I reserve the full skirt for days when the wind and water are boisterous, it's raining or there's motorboats around.

The 1/2 skirt is nice for quiet waters on a calm summer day. It keeps off the drips (though on hot days the drips are actually welcome), provides shade and allows good cockpit ventilation. It prevents dehydration through excess sweating by keeping the cockpit temperature down and allowing evaporation cooling to be more effective. It's also easy to reach into the cockpit for anything that might be stored there.

Finally, the various types of cockpit covers are also good for keeping out bugs, leaves, snakes and other things that you might end up paddling under or through.

Have fun,

Laszlo

I've seen some DIY cockpit covers and spray skirts on the interweb using neoprene, I neded up using rubber backed canvas at the local fabric store.  the cockpit covers are 100% water proof (drove two days, 1,200KM, 1 day in heavy rain).  I found the canvas very easy to work with.

Was thinking of a grommet on each side of the CLC cockpit cover (which I already have), down near the bungee about halfway back.  Then take another bungee, knotted at each end through the grommets.  This bungee could snap around the back of the combing, resulting in sort of a half-cockpit cover. 

Interesting idea, I see two issues with your plan. 

1)The skirt will sag in the centre and there by will act as a water collector concentrating all the water onto your lap.  You will notice in the above link, the Seals skirt has a bow in it.  I did this on my DIY by cutting a stainless seal (gasp, weight!) to the appropriate length then sewed a tube and used a piece of webbing with a snap buckle for adjustment.

2)You need to have a continuous bungee around the coaming.  The grommet idea will work for the back half, but what will keep the front half hooked under the coaming?  I did a similar idea that my fabric only on the front half.  The back does not have fabric, just the bungee.  There is enough friction pressure to hold the cover in place front to back.

I’m happy to email pictures and more details if you want to try to make one yourself.  I found it surprisingly easy.  David at Dragonsong dot ca

Hi Gang...   I'm a bit surprised CLC doesn't offer half skirts (At half price!!!   Yeah, right...).  How about it John H.  It sounds like there is a market right here on the fourm.......  ~BRUCE~

David, 1) hoping to add some sort of bow across the cockpit, perhaps rolled up in the back half of cockpit cover or under it.

2)right now I'm thinking the cover's existing bungee will grasp front edge of combing, assuming the rear bungee can pull tight enough to keep front secure

Sometimes the hands must "do" before the brain can "see" how these things will work out in reality.   

Great idea Bruce!  Would gladly cancel the sprayskirt order for a CLC half skirt.  I prefer dark green. ;-D

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.