PocketShip in Open Bay?

Love the idea of getting a PocketShip started this fall and winter.  I'd sail in Maine's Casco Bay, which can get fairly breezy as I near its mouth.  Guesses on how the PocketShip would fare?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: PocketShip in Open Bay?

With a reefing main and a furling jib, you won't have a problem de-powering when you need to.  I couldn't think of a better way to spend a long afternoon, or even an overnight, cruising the islands of Casco Bay than in a boat like Pocketship.  Save a pint of Black Fly Stout from Gritty's for me...

RE: PocketShip in Open Bay?

>>>>>>Love the idea of getting a PocketShip started this fall and winter.  I'd sail in Maine's Casco Bay, which can get fairly breezy as I near its mouth.  Guesses on how the PocketShip would fare?>>>>>>>

I did the whole Maine Island Trail in an open boat once, and PocketShip was intended partly for those very waters---perhaps to repeat the trip in greater comfort.  All of the usual warnings about using common sense in cold water apply, of course, but PocketShip has a lot of reserve stability and flotation and would certainly be a lot more comfortable than those open boats.  And arguably safer.  It's a really dry boat, too---not much spray finds its way aft.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.