First post...Day hatch questions

Hello all!

Thinking of building ad CH17LT.  I like the idea of a day hatch.  Those little hatches right behind the paddler that you can stow cameras, water, etc.  

First question:  Do you really need another bulkhead?  

Second question:   If I install another bulkhead can I buy another from CLC or would it be better, cheaper, easier to just make my own using he rear bulkend as a template?  

Thanks!

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: First post...Day hatch questions

First question:  Do you really need another bulkhead?

If you are sure the stuff you put in the day hatch will always stay right there within easy reach and not go scuttling into the aft recesses of the CH17LT, then not really.

Second question:   If I install another bulkhead ...?

If you don't have any scrap Okoume plywood handy, call CLC and ask how much a second rear bulkhead would cost.  It'll probably be less than buying a sheet of ply somewhere.  You will have to trim it slightly to fit since its position will be further aft than the real rear bulkhead.  Good luck if you decide to build.

I put a day hatch into my CL 17.  Yes! by all means put in a bulkhead. The whole idea of a day hatch is to have something you can open and if a wave comes by not have the whole back of the kayak full of water.   It is not difficult.  I used a scrap of luan, it does not have to be perfect, no one will see.  You do need to seal it well so when water does get in (some water eventually does) the wood doesn't get wet and then develope that nasty black fuzzy stuff.

The bulkhead will need to be a slightly different size than the main one.  I think I installed the deck, then cut the main hatch and the day hatch holes and then cut a cardboard template to fit.  Sliped the ply in and held it in place with tape on one side while fileting and put a narrow fiberglass strip in and epoxied it all in place.  Then pulled the tape and just fileted the other side.

PS: you can line the day hatch with insulating foam, put in a few frozen water bottles and keep your beer or fish cold.

Ed

"PS: you can line the day hatch with insulating foam, put in a few frozen water bottles and keep your beer or fish cold."

Now there is a great idea! 

Hi Ken.  I just finished the construction portion of a Wood Duck-12.  Just forward of the foot peg assemblies, I decided to add a bulkhead.  I took the "disposable" forms, properly fit them, then glassed them, now IT, into place.  I now have a water tight bulkhead for the forward section.  I installed a vertical access twist hatch, about $25.00 at a marine store to allow for access and airing on occation.  It works VERY well...   ~BRUCE~

I am building a CH18 and I have installed an additional Bulkhead.

See the photos http://gallery.shrinkpictures.com/v/CH18Build/

I put the bulkhead back 11" behind the existing rear bulkhead and I am putting 2x 6" round ports into this area.

Additionally, I will be putting in a deck beam between the 2 bulkheads, as by cutting 2 holes in the deck where all your weight is when entering the boat is certainly going to weaken that area.  I am building an '18 Because I need it to be big and strong to carry me.

What I did was to "rough out" a pattern from a bit of scrap 3mm ply I had, then measure everything up and cut out the bulkhead.  the required shape - only took a few hours and was quite easy to do.  Yes, I did make the additional  bulkhead from 6mm ply as well. 

Then again, I still have quite a few mods I am doing before the deck goes on. 

Bob,  that is exactly what I am talking about.  That looks like a good build.  I will watch how you do the day hatch.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.