Chester Yawl Assembly

Just started my first build (Chester Yawl) and have a couple of questions. I noticed on one builders's website that he coated the frames, bulkheads and other parts with epoxy before assembling them. It seems that this would make the coating and sanding a good bit easier. However, I was wondering about the bonding of the fillets which was then done to epoxy rather than raw wood. Would this have any negative effects?

Secondly, as I epoxied the scarf joints on the planks, it was evident that some of the planks were slightly warped. Should I be concerned, or will they come together properly as they are tied in to the frames and transom?

Thanks!

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chester Yawl Assembly

I'm not sure about the adhesion qualities but when I built my Passagemaker I masked off with tape around the edges of frames/bulkheads/deck pieces/skeg etc. that would eventually have fillets.  

"Would this have any negative effects?"  You won't get the ultimate strength of the epoxy because you won't get a chemical bond as well as the physical bond.  If you plan to routinely go out into the "Perfect Storm" or battle 20' Great White Sharks where your life is hanging by a thread, you might wish you also had the chemical bond.  Otherwise, your Yawl should be just fine.

"Should I be concerned, or will they come together properly as they are tied in to the frames and transom?"  You will bend and twist the planks as you stitch them together.  It's the planks' shapes, when flat, that when stitched together give the hull its shape.  A little warp isn't a problem; it will be forced out as the hull is stitched.  It's amazing how all those long, warped, wobbly, gangly planks come together to form a shapely hull.  The magic of stitch and glue.  Happy building.

Since this is your first build, try zip ties instead of wire. you will find it much easier.

Thanks for all three replies. Sounds like good advice, and definately increases my comfort level as I proceed. This forum is a great resource. I doubt I will find myself in a "Perfect Storm" or battling "Great White Sharks", but have you seen the movie "Deliverance"? There are dangers lurking on Southern rivers. Thanks again!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.