TIP for Show quality varnish and paint.

I learned this trick 29 years ago when I was showing classic wooden Chris Craft boats.  An old salt taught me how to apply varnish and hull paint. Things have changes some but not much.

After all those coats of varnish your frustration level increases as specs of dust continue to appear on the surface and other minor imperfections.

How to I get that deep deep show finish?

Here is the trick.

1. You need a high quality buffer with a foam pad.

2. You will need 3M Fenesit polishing compount. (3M is the ONLY one that really works well)

Our apply a small amount on a moist foam pad. Place pad on surface and then trun on. A medium speed is fine. Work the compound into the varnish and go light and ligher as it dries.  Then wipe it off with a soft cottom towel.  It takes a little practice but you will find in no time you will have the touch and your finish will be beautiful!  Also works well to smooth out Brightside topcoats as well.  One note make sure your varnish has cured for several days.  Too soon and you will make a mess of it.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: TIP for Show quality varnish and paint.

Can you get the same result by hand buffing?  If required, what recommendations do you have for a high quality buffer.

Rod

Barkley,

Where can you purchase the 3M Finesit? thanks

You can buy 3M finesit at any autobody supply store, many Marina stores and online at boating sites, etc.

is this the same product that 3M calls Finesse-It?

I might just try this... I thought I had put the last coat on the wife's boat. Today, the dread non skid finish

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.